First Church believes strongly in an open and inclusive church that extends an unqualified welcome. We invite you to join us as together we respond to the call of God in our lives.
For more than 300 years, First Church has been a ministry in and of the City of New York. We honor our legacy as the Church of the Patriots by continuing to be a place of progressive thought and action. We strive to listen for God’s call and live into our full Christian potential as a church for the 21st century in New York City.
We’re located on Fifth Avenue between 11th and 12th Streets in the City’s historic Greenwich Village. Our campus includes three connected buildings—all built by important architects of their time. The central sanctuary, with its soaring gothic architecture, was constructed in 1846 and extended westward in 1917. It includes stained-glass windows installed between 1893 and 1916. On the north side, the windows depict literary elements in the Holy Scriptures. Those on the south side present historical figures influencing Protestantism.
The South Wing, constructed in 1898 includes the Alexander Memorial Chapel and spacious rooms for gatherings. To the north, the Mellin-Macnab Building, constructed in 1955, houses two schools, along with church offices and a spacious, welcoming lobby.
First Church is a member of The Presbyterian Church (USA) and is part of the Presbytery of New York City, representing PCUSA churches in New York City’s five boroughs.
Greenwich Village: https://greenwichvillage.nyc
Presbytery of New York City: https://www.nycpresbytery.org